Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Kannberg conducted research into environmental heat and mass transfer upon joining Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) in 1976. PNNL is operated by Battelle for the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE). He successively managed programs funded by DOE in Compressed Air Energy Storage and subsequently Thermal Energy Storage. In 2002, he initiated the Advanced Communications and Controls Program for DOE, becoming a Presidential Initiative, GridWise, in 2004. He has served as advisor to the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy (on Infrastructure Protection), and to the Secretary of Energy Advisory Board Task Force on Electric System Reliability. He directs micro chemical and physical systems programmatic development at PNNL and Battelle. He is Co-Director of the Microproducts Breakthrough Institute, a joint research institute with Oregon State University.
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, 1977, Oregon State University
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 1972, Gonzaga University
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, having roles such as Chairman of the Advanced Energy Systems Division and as Chairman of the ASME Energy Committee wherein he provided testimony in Congress on Energy R&D budgets on behalf of ASME
- 2002, Tri-City Mechanical Engineer
- Phi Tau Sigma Honorary Mechnical Engineers Fraternity
Awards and Recognitions
- 2002, American Society of Mechanical Engineers Columbia Basin Engineer of the Year
- 2003, Oregon State University, Academy of Distinguished Engineers
- Samaan NA, R Bayless, M Symonds, TB Nguyen, C Jin, D Wu, R Diao, YV Makarov, LD Kannberg, T Guo, S Dennison-Leonard , M Goodenough, R Schellberg, S Conger, K Harris, M Rarity, S Wallace, J Austin, R Noteboom, T Van Blaricom , K McRunnel, J Apperson, M Empey, PV Etingov, D Warady, R Brush, J Newkirk, P Williams, M Landauer, H Owen, W Morter, K Haraguchi, J Portouw, Downey, S Sorey, S Williams, T Gossa, C Kalich, P Damiano, C Macarthur, T Martin, J Hoerner, S Knudsen, A Johnson, R Link, and D Holcomb. 2013. Analysis of Benefits of an Energy Imbalance Market in the NWPP. PNNL-22877, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Makarov YV, PV Etingov, NA Samaan, N Lu, J Ma, K Subbarao, P Du, and LD Kannberg. 2012. "Improving Performance of Power Systems with Large-scale Variable Generation Additions." In Proceedings of the IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, July 22-26, 2012, San Diego, California. IEEE, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/PESGM.2012.6345430
- Kannberg LD, DP Chassin, JG DeSteese, SG Hauser, MCW Kintner-Meyer, RG Pratt, LA Schienbein, and WM Warwick. 2003. GridWiseTM: The Benefits of a Transformed Energy System. PNNL-14396, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.